Monday 7 January 2008

Research

Fascinated by the revelation, and with the encouragement of my family, I carried out a considerable amount of research to see if I could find out what happened to my sister.
In brief:
Examination of an old family photograph album revealed the name "Annette Mary" on the inside cover. An attempt had been made to erase that name. Searches, over many months, of the Birth Index at the General Register Office revealed that an "Annette M Lane" was born in 1935 at Wolverhampton. This information facilitated the obtaining of a copy of the birth certificate which revealed that "Annette Mary" was born on 21 February 1935 at Cleveland House, Southerland Place, Wolverhampton. The child's mother (also my mother) was registered as a "General Domestic Servant" of 40 Bristol Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham. There was no entry naming the father indicating that Annette was illegitimate. The copy of the birth certificate also notes that Annette was subsequently adopted.
Searches, at the Birmingham Central Library, of the Electoral Register for 1935 revealed the occupants of 40 Bristol Road at the time as: Solomon Wand and Clara Wand. Further ersearch identified Dr Solomon Wand as the somewhat famous Chairman of the GMSC who, in 1948, championed the cause of GPs working within the new NHS. I have traced who I believe to be a decendant of Dr Wand and have written to them seeking any information they may have in respect of what happened to Annette. Sadly, depite the passage of several months, I have received no reply to that enquiry.

No comments: